DEADLINE: Wednesday 31 August 2011
In 2009, the Tourism Partners/Associations together with the City of Cape Town signed the RT Charter committing the destination and its major role players to Responsible Tourism practice.
As a next step towards showing progress, the City of Cape Town together with the Tourism Partners proposes to establish and undertake an RT Pilot project over the next two years including RT businesses in the City of Cape Town. The RT Pilot will be an opportunity for participating tourism businesses to showcase their leadership in the RTapproach and their commitment to RT and the development of an RT destination. The processes experienced with the RT Pilot, as well as the lessons learnt and the exposure of possibilities will contribute to the building of and RT Barometer for the City and inform the preparation and development of the longer-term RT Management System.
The Criteria for Application and the Selection of an RT Pilot Team:
- Member of a Tourism Association
- Cross-section of tourism businesses: accommodation, conference venues &PCOs, tour operators, tourist transport operators, travel agents, tourism associations and tourism activities/attractions/facilities
- Can be classified as a tourism business/operation ie primary market and source of income = tourists/visitors
- Track record of Responsible Tourism activities (not necessarily certified although certification by Heritage, Fair Trade, and others will be a bonus point)
- Brief description of business required and activities in relation to environmental, social and economic responsibility
- Location of tourism business applying and being to be situated in the City of Cape Town area
Any tourism business interested in participating should contact Sharon Pheiffer at Sharon.Pheiffer[at]capetown[dot]gov[dot]za no later than Wednesday 31 August 2011.